Welcome to issue 260 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of February 17 to 23, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- danharaj: zygohistobfuscatory maintainomorphism
- merijn: after a week you can delete 80% of your code and replace it with whatever edwardk wrote that day ;-)
- merijn: If Oleg is the unit of type hackery I propose Edward as the unit of haskell productivity.
- edwardk: the merijn is the unit for the number of distinct units you've named
- elliott: If you encounter an edwardk in the wild: nod reassuringly when he talks about something you understand. Under NO circumstances EVER give your GitHub account name
Top Reddit Stories
- An awesome Haskell Valentines card, from my non-programmer girlfriend.. From (i.imgur.com), scored 127 with 32 comments.
- Announcing SmallCheck 1.0. From (ro-che.info), scored 61 with 16 comments.
- Intro to FRP and purely functional games: live-coding the basics of Mario in ~30 lines in Elm [video]. From (ustream.tv), scored 50 with 12 comments.
- Reflections After a Hard Day in Haskell GUI Land. From (fluffynukeit.com), scored 49 with 53 comments.
- Duncan Coutts on Parallelism and Concurrency with Haskell, Distributed Programming with Cloud Haskell. From (infoq.com), scored 44 with 5 comments.
- A Game of Type-Safe Tic-Tac-Toe. From (github.com), scored 42 with 20 comments.
- The Algebra of Algebraic Data Types, Part 3. From (chris-taylor.github.com), scored 36 with 7 comments.
- Write Yourself a Haskell... in Lisp. From (gergo.erdi.hu), scored 36 with 3 comments.
- Overloading record fields with Lens. From (statusfailed.com), scored 31 with 19 comments.
- On partial functions in Idris. From (edwinb.wordpress.com), scored 29 with 3 comments.
- Who's using Haskell commercially? New collection of real-world case studies from FP Complete.. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 26 with 12 comments.
- Making 'Super Nario Bros.' in Haskell. From (youtube.com), scored 26 with 11 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Why is there no implicit parallelism in Haskell? votes: 29, answers: 4
- Why is (a,b,c,d) not sugar for (a,(b,(c,(d,()))))? votes: 26, answers: 2
- How can I understand “(.) . (.)”? votes: 21, answers: 5
- Are there any advantages of using Rank2Types in favor of RankNTypes? votes: 18, answers: 2
- What's the closest thing to Haskell's typeclasses in OCaml? votes: 16, answers: 4
- Why does ghci give me a type for “1 ++ 2” instead of ragequitting? votes: 16, answers: 2
- Is (>>) supposed to discard all left-side output? votes: 11, answers: 2
- Find inferred type for local function votes: 11, answers: 3
- STUArray s i e - space leak only when i == Int? votes: 11, answers: 2
- Connecting to the System GHC votes: 10, answers: 1
- Correctness of implicit lifting votes: 10, answers: 2
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz